Thursday, March 17, 2011

Everybody Needs Somebody

Being accepted into the Faculty of Social Work two years ago evoked many different feelings. Mostly, I enjoyed a deep sense of accomplishment; I would finally start working towards becoming a counselor. I have been volunteering at a women's centre offering one-on-one counseling to young women and I felt really comfortable in my role. Offering individual counseling is something I find very fulfilling and I knew that it is what I wanted to do. I think, however, at the same time, it had become my "safety blanket".
A year later, when it was time to submit field practicum preferences, I hoped to continue expanding on what I already enjoyed. Well, either God, destiny, or the universe seemed to have other plans, and I started my field practicum in areas I had never considered before; group work and seniors!
As scary as it seemed to me 9 months ago, today I definitely would not change my experience. With this blog entry, I want to share what I have taken out of the process of group work and how effective and powerful it can be even when professional involvement is minimum.
The group I help facilitate consists of 10 members; 6 women and 4 men. Through the meetings, we have been able to get to know each other and members have shared amazing stories about their pasts and their present circumstances. At the same time, the group members have been able to provide feedback and support to those who need it and the participation from the group facilitators has become minimal as the weeks have gone by.
As in any group, however, we have had moments of confrontation and sometimes rivalry. One occasion that really stands out occurred during our fourth week into the program. As we discussed the importance of feelings and how we often mask them, a group member expressed how he was perceiving a female senior. He said something along the lines of, "I tend to see life in a positive note, but I can't help to notice, that you [referring to the lady] always seem unhappy and depressed". She was overwhelmed by his comment and replied defensively that he didn't know her, and she was going through a lot in her life. She then left the room leaving the group in an awkward silence behind her.
As the facilitator of the group, I met her outside and helped her calm down. I explained to her the importance of coming back into the group and discussing what had occurred. Although she was very hesitant to do so, she at last agreed and reentered the room. When we discussed the problem, it became evident that everyone in the group wanted her to feel better, explain the (harmless and helpful) intent of the comment that had upset her, and offer her support. It was actually a very uplifting experience. I realized that this was the sort of support that can only come from a group of peers, and that one-on-one counseling would never be able to provide it to quite the same level.
In general, I have felt during this practicum that the element of peer support has an important power that small groups or one-on-one situations never really can. For example, if I or another social worker encourage a member to cut down on their addictions, eventually we become just another "mother figure" whose words go in one ear and out the other. When it comes to a large group of peers expressing concern for a person and urging them to modify their behaviour in certain ways, this becomes a voice that is more difficult to ignore. Interestingly, just yesterday, one of our group members who has made major progress in reducing their drinking gave heartfelt thanks to the group for helping provide the motivation and support for doing so. In addition, as Lee and Ayon (2006) note, the inclusion of group members with a similar background helps the group to share problem solving solutions and skills for members with similar issues to work through.
From a broader perspective, there is a major "byproduct" of the group experience that has side benefits in terms of addictions. Fredriksen (1992) points out that the socialization aspect of the group is a huge help in reducing the loneliness and isolation experienced by many seniors, which can lead to direct reductions in the motivation to start or continue addictive behaviour like drinking, gambling, or drug use. This is a powerful result, since it suggests that even a group that achieves no "officially" useful work would probably still be beneficial in many ways simply by bringing otherwise isolated individuals together. Women, especially, may be most affected by this outcome, since they are more likely to outlive male relatives and at higher risk of isolation as a result. This is a main premise of my own practicum work, and it has been very enjoyable and enlightening to see how well this theory plays out in practical experience.

References

Fedriksen, K.I. (1992). North of market: Older women's alcohol outreach program. The Gerontologist, 32(2), 270-272.

Lee, C.D. & Ayon, C. (2006). The power of groups for older adults: A comparative study of European American and Latino senior mutual aid groups. Social Work With Groups, 28(2), 23-39.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post Diana!

    When I first started at my field placement I have to admit I was very intimidated at the prospect of co-facillitating a group. One of the things that has amazed me about the group process is that there are a number of dynamics that occur within the group itself. There has been a couple of occasions when two or more group members in the group that i co-facillitate have not agreed with one another on a certain topic and have began to get annoyed with one another. One of the things that I am interested in learning as a group facillitator is how to manage situations like this when they occur. Because my placement is in a mental health setting it is often challenging to re-direct group members that may be experiencing symptoms such as mania or it may also be difficult to encourage group members who are going through a severe depression. These are population specific questions that I would be interested in learning to enhance my knowledge of working with groups. I think that every group will have a unique set of strengths and challenges and I am very interested in learning how to work with specific groups. I really appreciated your post because I think it showed that groups are very unique depending on the population that you are working with and I also appreciate that you highlighted the strengths of groups.

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,
    Thank you for posting your story. This touching story makes me recall why group work is important. I learned from your blog that sharing similar stories with others, who have similar backgrounds, through group work gives not only socialization, but it also gives a chance to seniors to change their behaviours by looking on them. You underlined the strength of group work, and difficulty of facilitating group work as a facilitator.
    As Kendall mentioned, managing situations within a group is one of the challengeable parts as a facilitator. If the lady you told resisted not coming back to the group, your group members may be distracted by them. In my previous experience of teaching children, when one member was missing, the other members were generally distracted, and the atmosphere of the group was down. It was really hard to encourage group members to return to their tasks.
    Reading your blog, I thought seniors with disabilities. They easily to be isolated due to their physical and mental conditions, and difficulty of using public transportation themselves. They should be encouraged to participate in group work. Social workers who are in charge of group work should promote group members to take a look at their neighbours or friends who are isolated, and report them. Eunkyeong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana,
    Good insight, Thank you for posting your experience.
    Working in a group is a challenge. As a facilitator we have to keep in mind that we are not only dealing on the goal of the group. We also have to deal with the different diversity of each member. . There are members of the group who tend to be the leader and be the ones to lead instead of the facilitator. There are members who try to compete with each other just to prove themselves. There are members who do not want to cooperate. However, it is the facilitators work to be the guide of the group. We have to play the devil’s advocate sometimes. . As what Eunkyeong said, you did a good approach in dealing with the conflict on the group. You confronted the lady who walked out from the room and motivate her to come back again. You did have the solution for the conflict right away.
    I guess if will be working in a group I need to take a conflict resolution course or seminar.

    ReplyDelete