Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Caring for the Elderly. The New Generation.

A short while ago, my husband, who is learning Spanish, was reading the book "Como Agua Para Chocolate", written by mexican author Laura Esquivel. This is the story of a young woman who lives all her life without ever really finding love because her mother insists that she stay home to take care of her into her old age. My husband found it very surprising that until very recently - and sometimes even today - it was quite a common assumption in some Latin American countries that the youngest daughter will stay at home to look after her aging parents and basically forget any idea of living her own life. This got me thinking a lot about the idea of caring for our older relatives in the modern world and what my own assumptions are for this period in life that must someday arrive.

One thing that I am very conscious of is that my life is much different than the way my ancestors lived. By the time my parents and those of my husband need care, we will already be educated professionals with careers and very busy schedules. Growing up, my parents never mentioned once, we would be expected to take care of them, and as my grandparents aged and died at home, as children, we could already see a relatively small amount of care provided by family members. That being said, I know my parents would actually be bothered if I would ever consider to give up my career to look after them, as the girl in the story does.

In the past, there were fewer options to send elderly parents away to professional care homes, so between this and the fact that careers have now become so much more important, there is much less chance that we would end up taking care of my parents. But perhaps because I grew up in a more traditional, family-oriented culture, I sometimes think that in later life I may begin to question these priorities. For one thing, even in non-traditional cultures, there is a presumption that women are supposed to provide the majority of the informal caregiving.

Sawatzky and Fowler-Kerry (2006) noted that 75% of the informal caregivers in this country are women, and that the burdens imposed by providing this care essentially made it impossible for many of them to have jobs or even meaningful lives besides providing that care. Again, for myself at this point in life, it would be very unlikely that I would choose to quit my school to provide care for my parents. By this, I don't mean I would not have mixed feelings, but I believe I would probably end up being much more open to the idea of putting either of my parents into care relatively quickly instead of providing informal, intensive care on a long-term basis. I believe that in this case, having been born in the modern world and having gone through university may mean that I am less likely to accept the assumption that I should be willing to drop everything and take care of my parents than if I had been raised even a generation ago when attitudes were even more patriarchical than they are now.

Of course, where all of the above was written about my parents, it would obviously be quite a different story if my husband were to require care when we are much older and retired. In that case, because we would be past the busiest part of our life, I would probably be much more able and willing to provide care for him to a greater degree. Even then, again I would probably be much less likely than my ancestors to hold out as long because I was not brought up with quite the same traditional assumptions about a wife being slavishly devoted to their husbands.

Despite the fact that I feel this way now, however, it is also true that at this point my parents are neither fragile nor dependent. When the moment comes, I am certain that the decision to send them into professional care would probably be incredibly hard. Caron, Ducharme, and Griffith (2006) discussed the process of making this decision amongst people who were providing care for relatives with dementia. I found it interesting that many of these families basically provided care up until the point when they could physically no longer do so safely. I wonder, is this actually best for everyone involved, or is the hardship endured by the caregivers worse than sending the patient to a home earlier on?

At the same time, however, I am conscious of the fact that the modern attitude that I have would definitely seem cold to a traditionalist and even though I think that as a human I have a right to enjoy a fulfilling life, I also know that this could sound harsh and self-centered to many people. I also believe in the importance of discussing different options with our seniors while they are still competant. This could help make it easier both for the family as well as for the client when the times comes to move into care.

Maybe the level of exposure we have to the elderly while growing up is an important factor. As I reflect on my upbringing, I remember having very little contact with most of my older relatives. Visits were very short and quite rare, which I suspect might contribute to me subconsciously tending to see seniors as not a major part of life. In comparison, my cousins who grew up in the same house as my grandparents, tend to have a better appreciation of the elderly and have an easier time relating to them, and therefore, although they are from the same generation would be most likely to provide longer care than I would.

References

Caron, C., Ducharme, F., & Griffith, J. (2006). Deciding on institutionalization for a relative with dementia: The most difficult decision for caregivers. Canadian Journal on Aging, 25(2), 193 – 205.

Sawatzky, J., & Fowler-Kerry, S. (2003). Impact of caregiving: listening to the voice of informal caregivers. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 10, 277 – 286.

9 comments:

  1. Diana- I liked your blog because you brought up an important aspect when it comes to the decision to provide care or defer it to another resource. It is that cultural perspective; in some cultures it is expected for certain individuals to provide care, while in others it is not. Being Portuguese I have found that providing care to an older adult is a family tradition and has become expected of everyone, but it is important to note that this is my family dynamic and does not apply to all Portuguese families. Anyways, seeing you bring in the cultural perspective was a nice touch. Also, I liked how you showed you’re thought process throughout the blog regarding how you would approach the situation if it were your parents, this really reaffirmed that as individuals we are all unique and have different experiences and thought process. However, in the end whatever we decided it is important that people remain open to the decision and truly listen to the reasoning behind choices because they may surprise you. Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you for brining in your own personal experience, the blog seemed very personable. Thank you Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging, Diana!

    In my own country of origin (Austria), women are just beginning to enter professional life in larger numbers. It's also a culture where women have always taken care of the older family members. But the new strategy in Austria is for these professional women to continue to assume this responsibility for care, but to do so by paying migrant workers to live in the home and provide the care.

    This is not an unproblematic solution, since it places women from poorer countries into vulnerable positions. It pushes the problem of who will provide care onto a more marginalized group of women. Yes, they are getting paid, but in thinking about immigrant workers in domestic roles in Canada, I cannot help but wonder about their well being as a group.

    I might be doing some research on this topic, which intrigues me, from the perspective of the migrant workers as well as the adult children for whom they provide a solution that keeps their parent in the home, without an adult daughter needing to quit her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post Diana. I’ve been struggling with this dilemma since moving so far away from my mother. The distance has given me a lot of time to think about my responsibilities to her and to myself. You raised the important issue of cultural differences in terms of expectations placed on children to provide care. I feel a similar pressure because in my family women are responsible for everything (cooking, cleaning, laundry, booking appointments, money management, groceries, problems, stressors, mowing the lawn, clearing the driveway....okay, I’m ranting now about the lazy men in my life).

    Simply put - the women run the show and the men (my brothers and stepfather) are allowed to remain obligation-free. It’s a pretty sweet deal. When my younger brother became ill, it was my grandmother, my aunts, or my mother who made daily trips to the hospital or took care of them in their own home. Nobody demanded that they do this but they clearly believe it to be their responsibility. In fact they feel so strongly about it that when one of my cousins opted not to provide this kind of care to her father, she was criticized and ostracized by the rest of my family.

    Even today both of my brothers remain closely tied to my mother, live almost entirely responsibility-free (they do get up in the morning and go to work, dragging along the lunch that a woman prepared, wearing the clothes that someone laundered for them, and leaving behind a mess that will disappear by the time they get home again) and don’t lose any sleep worrying about their role in taking care of my mother or grandmother. They have found partners that provide essentially the same “services” that my mother and grandmother have provided (i.e. the necessities of life). Instead, despite being thousands of miles away from them – I am left to feel responsible. My partner and I have discussed what we will do when my mother is no longer able to take care of herself.

    As you noted in your post, the lifestyles we lead today don’t really allow us to provide around the clock care for aging or ill relatives. Instead our options are to financially contribute to their care in a facility or to move them into our home and pay for home care. Given that I fully anticipate living in a 500 sq foot box in the sky in Toronto I’m not entirely sure how this would work. My mother (who grew up on a farm) is not interested in uprooting her life and moving to the big city to live with my partner and I. Likewise; we can’t move from downtown Toronto to Eastern Ontario and still maintain our careers and lifestyle.

    I think this is one of the biggest dilemmas facing our generation and those that come after us. We are all struggling to define the boundaries of our responsibilities to our families.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana,
    I am pleased to read your post. You pointed out the different attitudes of caregiving from ancestors and a new generation through a cultural aspect.
    A traditional patriarchal system in my home country also affected many Korean women’s lives because caregiving was frequently a women’s job. Unlike my generation, many younger women who learned feminist ideology in home or school have very different thoughts about family caregiving, and claim the society should care of older adults, especially when those are at the end of life. These women ask why women frequently should take responsibility for caregiving.
    In my home country, as an oldest daughter-in-law, I often feel guilty because I cannot often visit my parents-in-law. My parents-in-law consistently believe that I will come back to their home and support them some day even if I am living in Canada. Their beliefs make me feel guilty and have emotional burdens.
    Tammy asked us who will take a responsibility for caregiving if we get older. Even if I do not seriously think about it, I am sure that this will be a serious issue for everybody. If I get older and closer at the end of life, where would I go? I do not know. Maybe, my answer would … if I am not a cognitively impaired at that time, I may tell my children to send me to an institution. However, I will have to ask my children who will take responsibility for finances of a personal care home. I feel that caregiving is not a simple job for everybody, and I do not want to push my children to do this job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post Diana!
    I recently took a trip to El Salvador with my boyfriend (who is of Salvadoran descent but born in the states) to meet his Abuela (grandmother) and the rest of his family for the first time.

    One of the things that I was immediately struck by was how much the women played a central role as caregivers to other family members and to their own family. My boyfriends grandmother is in her 80's and has recently began to deteriorate in terms of her ability to live and funtion on her own. Therefore her daughter (my boyfriends Aunt) has taken on the responsibility of her care as this is customary in El Salvador as well. Because of this she has essentially put her own family and life on hold to be the primary live in caregiver for her mother. What struck me about this situation is the fact that there are other children around including one son who visits often and contributes instrumental support by giving money but essentially the responsibility has fallen onto the one daughter.

    My boyfriend and I left El Salvador with an immense amount of respect for the care that his aunt provides to his grandmother, but we were also left feeling unsettled by the impact that the role of being a caregiver has had on her life.

    I often wonder what life will be like in countries like El Salvador in the future. The tide is slowly changing in this country with women obtaining higher levels of education and pursuing their own lives. Because the role of women as caregivers is so ingrained in the culture in El Salvador I wonder if women in the next generation will feel obligated to put their lives and careers on hold to care for their loved ones as they age.

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being the oldest child in my family, I have often thought about who will someday care for my parents. I do not feel it is my responsibility as a woman, but rather because I have seen my dad, who is the oldest child, be the primary decision maker and 'burden-barer' concerning the welfare of his aging parents. I suppose this is the type of 'cultural' expectation that has been modeled to me.

    In regards to my grandparents, it is assumed that when the time comes, they will go into long-term care rather than living with any of their children; this has become a cultural norm for a few generations already in my family. While my dad is the decision maker, and primary support to them, that does not include inviting them to live in my parent’s home. My own parents have told us kids for years that they will never live with any of us as they would feel guilty putting that burden on us and they will make other arrangements.

    Even though I know it is not expected of me, I still try and think of what I may do when the time comes. I have heard of models of family in past where the grandparents lived in the home and took care of the kids, and helped around the house. This sounds ideal, but I believe things have changed slightly from the time when 'aging' parent meant they were in their 60's and rapidly deteriorating; it meant that there were actually still grandchildren in the home to care for. With people living longer, often the children are in their 60's and 70's before their parents need help with daily living and grandchildren may be long gone and not need caring for.

    I know that living in a country where our aging population is better cared for than most means that people can think about options other than living with family members, such as having home care. But does this mean long-term care facilities are the ‘right’ option at all times? Probably not. But in some cases, letting a loved one live in a personal care home is better for all involved because caring for the aging population’s unique needs is their specialty; in the case of my family, it is the option preferred by those finding they need more one-to-one care.

    -Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Diana,
    Interesting blog, as our population ages and spaces in Pch's are limited I wonder if we will have to change our priorities/ life styles to accommodate the older population.
    I once asked my 83 year old Grandmother about the roles that women have, and she said it was easier "back then" in my time now because you knew exactly what was accepted as a farm wife and what to expect in return. She said she felt sorry for me due to the fact I had so much responsibility of house, kids, husband, career, volunteering, sports....ect. I did not understand until I stayed at home with both of my daughters. It was an opportunity for me to take care of my home and my kids that was it. It was simpler but at the end of a year I was going nuts, I had lost myself.
    I now have an aging Mother in law and I am the only one talking to her about her wishes for the future, how long she would like to stay in her home and if a chronic illness appears what she would like done..ect. She has three sons and one daughter. None have talked to her about it. I have offered to take care of her when the time comes if necessary because I thought I would take care of my own mother but she had passed on to soon to get older.
    The decision of how to best support the older people in our lives is what we as a family have to decide by doing our homework and weighting the pros’ and con’s of each choice. Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about discussing future plans with seniors before they become unable to make a decision for themselves is more of a realistic choice. I think that many people should make a consciouse effort to try and help plan out what their future will look like. I begin to think about that movie that we watched in the begining of our school year called 'away from her' and how the woman made the choice with her husband to go into a personal care facility once her alzhiemers progresses. I think this is a smart choice on one's part in order to honour what one would choose for themselves in their futures. Discussing with loved one's the options that lay ahead, as well as writing out a will incase there are any conflicts within the family that may reflect upon one's future care plans.
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete