Tuesday, November 9, 2010

People with Dementia and Social Workers’ Roles

The personal care home where I am doing my field placement is a place where diverse groups of people gather and work. Those groups consist of residents, families, staff, volunteers, visitors, and so on. The majority of people are old older adults with dementia who are in closer to the end of life. As I see these people, I feel that I am lucky because I am healthier and younger than them and can help them. Now and then, questions arise in my mind about dementia: what is it, what are the risk factors, what issues make residents or families hard to deal with, and how do staff cope, especially social workers in my field placement. Although I have learned about this disease in a few classes, I do not think I really considered this disease from a client-centered perspective because I thought I already knew about dementia well before I took a few courses. However, I found out that I overlooked very sensitive parts, which can be issues among people when I talked with people that I have known for many years. I feel, at the moment, that all my knowledge pieces about dementia are disorganized in my head. I, therefore, will try to make sense of this issue by utilizing my classnotes, textbook and brochures that guest speakers brought. I will look back on myself and think about this disease again. I hope this time can help me to clearly understand some issues arising with the definition of dementia.

To understand better, it is necessary to describe what dementia is. According to the Alzheimer Society of Manitoba (2010), dementia is defined as a disease of brain cells, which causes memory loss, and cognitive impairment. A currently irreversible and slowly progressive disease, dementia is related to a diversity of dementias, such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD) that Vascular Dementia, Frontotemporal Dementia, Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Lewy body Dementia, Parkinson’s disease and Huntington’s disease. All these dementias are different from one another. I do not describe all about these disease here, but further research is needed in order to understand in detail. Dementia is also well-known as a main problem in geriatric care. Of course, as Saxon, Etten, and Perkins (Saxon et al., 2010) note, “…diagnosis of dementia occur[s] in the vast majority of people at the oldest ages…” (p. 189). Often dementia causes disability and morbidity in older people. Degenerative Alzheimer disease, Vascular dementia, B12 deficiency, autoimmune disorders, Parkinsonism, infections, such as HIV/ AIDS, other extra-pyramidal disorders, such as Huntington’s disease, and Trauma can cause dementia (Mackenzie, 2010).

Unfortunately, today’s medical technology cannot help. There is currently no cure for Alzheimer’s disease generates. In terms of caregiving issues, mostly women, especially spouses take responsibility care for their partners of dementia. Sawatzky and Fowler-Kerry (2003) note that “the burden of care often falls disproportionately on mothers, wives and/or daughters, who are unpaid for services. Physical effort, combined with lack of support, medical knowledge and sleep, can often place the health of caregivers at risk” (p. 277). Have you ever thought why women take responsibilities for caregiving more often than men? How should caregivers’ needs be met regarding this issue? In order to meet caregivers’ needs, what policies should be changed? Are there any options to care for people with dementia in the home? Do caregivers in the home should be paid? If caregivers want to care in their home, how can home care social workers assist them? How can social workers help them reduce the sense of burdens?

Making the decision to institutionalize is also an issue in terms of people with dementia. Lundh, Sandberg and Nolan (2000), Nolan and Dellasega (2000) emphasize that “making the decision to institutionalize a loved one is among their most difficult experiences, a time of crisis for the family” (as cited in Caron, Ducharme, and Griffitha, 2006, p. 195). If caregivers choose institutionalization, regardless of the opinion of the cognitively impaired older adults, how should social workers intervene? From caregivers’ perspectives, should social workers respect the caregivers’ decision even if the cognitively impaired older adults do not want to go to an institution? If social workers met family members who were psychologically distressed due to memory loss that caused a bad relationship, how could social workers help them? On the other hand, from clients’ perspectives, if cognitively impaired older family members refuse to go to institutions, should they be at home?

As the Alzheimer society emphasizes, early diagnosis from family is really important to address earlier treatments and to improve the life of people with dementia. Family should look for signs, such as the loss of sense of smell and loss of weight, confusion, decrease of ability to make a decision. Education about Alzheimer’s disease provides behavioural therapeutic strategies, such as activities and music. Such therapeutic techniques can help improve life for both people with dementia and their families. Social workers should think about how they encourage families to be aware of these signs, and how they encourage families to more participate in these therapeutic strategies. If families resisted against participating in these strategies, how could social workers handle this case? Are there any alternative strategies instead of these therapeutic strategies?

According to Saxon et al (2010), “The Alzheimer’s Association reports a prevalence of 5.1 million Americans with Alzheimer’s disease (AD) in 2009 , with a projected increase to 7.7 million in 2030” ( p. 167). The more AD population increases, the more ethical issues maybe increase. Presumably, social workers’ roles are more important than before.

-Eunkyeong

References

Alzheimer Society of Manitoba. (2010). Research: Related dementia-Vascular dementia. Winnipeg, Manitoba: Alzheimer Society of Manitoba.

Caron, C. D., Ducharme, F., & Griffitha, J. (2006). Deciding on institutionalization for a relative with dementia: The most difficult decision for caregivers. Canadian Journal on Aging, 25(2), 193-205.

Mackenzie, C. (2010, October 5). Dementia. Presented at a KIN 2610 lecture at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB.

Sawatzky, J. E. & Fowler-Kerry, S. (2003). Impact of caregiving: Listening to the voice of informal caregivers. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 10, 277-286.

Saxon, S.V., Etten, M. J., & Perkins, E. A. (2010). Physical change and aging (5th. Ed.). New York: Springer Publishing Company

6 comments:

  1. Eunkyeong
    I do not think it was until our aging class that I really got a better understanding of dementia. I had learned a few things from talking to other individuals, but it was not very detailed. Therefore, I found your blog very informative and I enjoyed reading and expanding my knowledge. I liked how you explored not only the client’s experiences, but the experiences of care-givers, professionals etc. I think often when dealing with clients we sometimes focus on the client and sometimes forget that they are influenced by many outside factors such as family, friends etc. Therefore, often we are not only working with the client in front of us but with their social supports as well.....Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I just would like to comment on the role of current medical technology on Dementia. I agree that currently there is no cure for the disease. However, there are a number of medication that slowers the progression of Dementia. Thank you so much for sharing us your thoughts, Eunkyeong. Your blog entry is very informative and well-written. -Darnel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eunkyeong,
    I really appreciate the honesty and transparency that you have expressed in your blog. Your thoughts made me realize the numerous dilemma that clients, caregivers, social workers, and future social workers like us are facing. Indeed, Dementia and aging in general are very complex concepts which have the capacity to change peoples' lives. When I was reading your entry, I was reminded by my experience at my PCH placement today. I realized that the more I know our residents and the more I spend time with them, death, loss, and life become more real. As a future social worker, the "feeling of responsibility" to be effective in helping our residents and their families has been my concern. However, I also realized that in many instances, there is nothing I can do to make them feel better. In many circumstances I do not know the answer and I cannot alleviate the pain that they are experiencing. Most of the time I just have to be there...and listen. Going back to your post, the projected number of people with Dementia in the upcoming years is indeed alarming and you are right, social work as a profession will take on a broader responsibility. I would like to believe that our profession is evolving to become more efficient, holistic, balanced, and ready to face the future challenges, especially in dealing the field of Aging. Through persuasive and passionate incorporation of anti-oppressive, feminist, strengths-based, Aboriginal and other more egalitarian and inclusive approach to social work practice, our profession has a bright future. The good thing is, we as social workers in training can be and perhaps are already a part of the changes that shape the future. And despite the vulnerability of our current positions as students in our placements, our personal awareness and approach to our residents/clients are already making a difference.
    -darnel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eunkyeong,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog! I found the information about Dementia helped to educate me more about this disease. It allowed me to explore my own practicum experience. Since I have been working in a personal care setting for my practicum I have seen the effects that care giving has had on families that have had to care for their loved ones with Dementia. I have had to watch the decision making process and the devastation and loss families experience in placing their loved ones in our personal care home unfold before my eyes.There are many obstacles that individuals and families face who are dealing with Dementia and I look forward to learning how to work with, provide services and support residents and their families as a social work student.

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eunkyeong, you raise a really good question about who decides about institutionalization. On the one hand, the caregivers have the right to make their own decisions about the conditions under which they are able to continue providing care. On the other hand, what other options are then available for the older person who wants to remain living at home but no longer has the cognitive capacity to safely do so? Who then advocates for that person and for making other options than institutionalization available?

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete